Joan Sauer, CSAC- Joan is an experienced Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor who entered the field of substance abuse with an in-depth and personal knowledge of substance abuse and recovery. She did an internship at DePaul Hospital and was one of their first Family Coordinators. She spent two semesters learning about alcoholism treatment, and psychopathology, and a semester each in training on mood disorders, thought disorders, childhood disorders, personality disorders, and organic disorders.
Joan has been active in the alcoholism field and has been a part of numerous organizations and committees. She has served on the Wisconsin Drug Counselor Certification Board and was Chairperson of the Alcoholism Committee. Additionally, Joan has served as the Secretary to the Board of Directors (WADCCA) and as President of the Board of Directors, then Executive Director to the Counselor Alliance on Alcoholism. She is a member of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Counselors (WAADC). Joan was integral in developing the professional certification for Wisconsin and was the 8th counselor to be certified in the State of Wisconsin.
On May 1, 1975, Joan delivered a paper called the “Neglected Majority to the annual National Council on Alcoholism meeting. This paper was subsequently developed into a booklet and is presently being restructured and updated. It should be available after January, 2013.
Joan started one of the first substance abuse programs at American Behavioral Clinic. This program has been developed for clients who:
- Only need an assessment and follow-up letter to the referral source
- Have recently relapsed and are struggling to stay sober
- Dislike group therapy and would prefer individual sessions
- Need a follow-up program after an inpatient hospitalization
- Have schedules that do not allow therapy to be at the same time weekly
- Need evening appointments (Wednesday and Thursday until 7pm)
- Have received an OWI from Wisconsin or other states
This program is tailored to fit each individual, rather than require the individual to fit the treatment. Contact Joan for your substance abuse treatment needs!