What is TMS?
TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) is a depression treatment that uses a targeted magnetic field to stimulate areas of the brain that control mood and are thought to be underactive in people with depression. TMS Therapy is indicated for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode.
Important Safety Information: TMS Therapy should not be used with patients who have non-removable conductive metal in or near the head.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE: FDA cleared since 2008, there have been more than 2 million treatments that have been performed on over 65,000 patients.
- MEDICATION FREE: TMS can be safely used with or without antidepressant medication.
- NON-INVASIVE: TMS is a non-invasive procedure. You are awake and alert for the treatments and can engage in normal activities immediately after treatment.
- NO SIDE EFFECTS OF MEDICATIONS: You are free from the side effects often felt with medications. The most common side effect is discomfort around the treatment area, which usually goes away within a week.
TMS Therapy is covered by most insurance.
The TMS Treatment Process
TMS Therapy is an in-office treatment that takes 18 minutes, is performed while the patient sits in a chair, and is administered five days a week, for up to four to six weeks. The steps are:
- The patient sits comfortably in the treatment chair, awake and alert.
- The magnetic coil rests lightly on the patient’s head.
- The device delivers focused magnetic stimulation directly to target areas of the brain.
- The patient can immediately resume normal activities.
Did You Know?
- 6.9% of U.S. adults suffer from depression.
- 16.1 million of U.S. adults have Major Depressive Disorder.
- 7.2 million are treated with medication.
- 4.0 million are poorly served from inadequate response to medication or intolerance to side effects.
Is TMS Therapy Right for You?
If you agree with any of these statements:
- Depression symptoms have interfered with my life.
- I am not satisfied with the results I get from depression medication.
- I have had, or have worried about side effects from depression medication
- I am interested in a proven, medication-free therapy for depression
then we encourage you to talk to a doctor who can help you decide if TMS therapy is right for you.
We invite you to contact WIN TMS here and schedule a consultation with one of our TMS experts to learn more.
- TMS for Resistant Depression: Long-term Results Are In. Medscape. May 24, 2013. HTTP://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804736#vp_1